Ask Good Questions To Good Leaders by Justin Knowles
During this time of the year I like to hang out with small group leaders. I know I cannot hang out with all students in an effective way, but I know I can hang out with their leaders who can hang out with their students and basically do the same thing. I love our leaders, without them, we wouldn’t be able to do what we do. When it comes to hanging out with our leaders I ask them all the same type of questions to let them know:
- They are cared for.
- They are not alone (because our groups are de-centralized it can be easy to feel on an island).
- They have the support of the HSM staff.
- They can have any resources we have to help them do their group better.
- That we are friends and they are more than just a leader, but someone I want to do life with as well.
Here are some of the types of questions I ask all our leaders whenever I get the chance to hang out with them:
- How is your group doing?
- What are the things that you are doing that you feel would be beneficial for other groups to know?
- What are some of your struggles this year?
- what are some of your highlights of group this year?
- Is there anything I can do (or HSM can do) to help you to make your group better?
- How are YOU doing?
- What is going good in your life? What are you excited about right now?
- Is there anything I can be praying for you about?
- What are you most excited about for this year in your group?
I’m sure there are more questions we can ask, but I think being intentional with what type of questions you can ask to your leaders is important. One of the most important things we can do for leaders and volunteers is let them know they are not an island and they are supported by you and your ministry and that they are cared for. Ask good questions, take good care of them.